Cortona has nine gates in the surrounding walls. This is perhaps the oldest: this gate was used by the Etruscans when the town was called Curtun. People have been walking through it for over 2,500 years. Those large boulder-like stones are the original Etruscan base of the wall. The Romans rebuilt the walls with a more fine masonry structure. This gate is called “la Bucaccia” – evil hole – because it was through this gate that pillagers came in 1258.